Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

High CPU while installing VM 7 years 2 months ago #1180

Hi,

I have two fresh xenservers with NoSan installed. Yesterday I started to install Win7 VM and installation lasted around 10 hours. I noticed that CPU usage is 100% on both xenservers. Is this a normal behavior or I did some misconfiguration?

Please advise me what to do.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

High CPU while installing VM 7 years 2 months ago #1181

• Salvatore Costantino
This is not typical behavior. Did you happen to notice what processes were utilizing all of your CPUs?

Here are some things to consider:

- The only time you will see slight performance decrease will be during the initial DRBD sync of the disks (right after installation). Depending on your storage size, this could take hours. Installing a VM while the initial sync is in progress is supported, but would be considerably slowed. The initial DRBD sync only happens one time at installation time. So, if that was the cause of your delay, you should not see it again.

- If you installed your VM on the slave host AND your replication interface is slow (100Mbps) - this could take a while. Replication should be across gigabit Ethernet at a minimum.

- Are you running xenserver on bare metal or as VMs on another hypervisor? If the later, performance would be poor.

High CPU while installing VM 7 years 2 months ago #1189

Hi,

can you give me a command to list those processes? I am new to Ha-Lizard and XenServer.
I am using it in virtual environment (VMWare Workstation 12). I deleted my Win7 VM and both XenServer CPUs are at 100% and it is hard to do anything.

I tried to use only one XenServer (another was shut down) and my CPU is jumping all the time from 20% to 70-80%. When I run ctrl+alt+delete on my Windows 7 host, I see that a process vmware-vmx.exe (XenServer) is the one which causes a CPU percentage to jump. Resource Monitor says that average CPU for vmware-vmx.exe is around 47%.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edit: by Denis.

High CPU while installing VM 7 years 2 months ago #1190

• Salvatore Costantino
Running xenserver as a guest of an underlying hypervisor is not supported by xenserver and will perform very poorly.

Regarding commands to check which processes are using cpu,, standard linux tools like top will work

• Page: