Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC:

Xenserver crashed and halizard seems broken 6 years 1 month ago #1550

• engine411
  • engine411's Avatar Topic Author

I did check and there is an email alert that gets triggered when both HAs are running.

I did not get an emailed alert and never saw an option for that (that I remember right now, anyway) during the HAL install.

FYI - Xenserver does not support 2-host HA (never has).

I'm aware of that, that's the driving factor of why I chose to use HAL.

Most HA-Lizard deployments are 2 hosts pools with the added benefit of being hyper-converged with the storage replication and management.

I'm aware of that too - my pool is two hosts - but that still didn't tell me or give me any reason to think that I should not use the Xenserver HA. I knew that HAL provides the shared storage that Xenserver needs for HA, so it seemed reasonable to turn the HA feature on in Xencenter.
The topic has been locked.

Xenserver crashed and halizard seems broken 6 years 1 month ago #1551

• engine411
Do you have a suggestion on how to get the slave functional again? ATM, only the master is using the storage successfully. The slave is in the pool but cannot connect to the storage. Should I reinstall the HAL software, using the Autoinstaller method, on the slave?

Xenserver crashed and halizard seems broken 6 years 1 month ago #1552

• Salvatore Costantino
there is no need to reinstall the slave.

If you are using a bonded link for replication and the slave cannot ping the floating ip, try unplugging one of the replication links for a few seconds and plug it back in.

If your setup is different, reply with whether or not you can ping the floating ip from the slave

Xenserver crashed and halizard seems broken 6 years 1 month ago #1553

• engine411
I am using a single 10gig link cabled directly between the two hosts for replication. That's the only way my setup is different than how you suggested, in that the replication link is not bonded because there is only one link.

Does that change your suggestion at all?

Edit - I checked the slave and from the Xenserver console within Xencenter, it cannot ping the floating IP, which I set according to the video just to keep it simple, so it's 10.10.10.3.
Last edit: by engine411.

Xenserver crashed and halizard seems broken 6 years 1 month ago #1554

• Salvatore Costantino
The fact that the link is not a bond is ok. It actually simplifies the situation

Given that you cannot ping the floating ip from the slave, i see 2 possible issues:

Does the slave have 10.10.10.2 configured or was that lost along with the management link config when your problem started?

If that is ok, check the firewall config in case it got defauted on the master when networking was reconfigured. There should be a rule in the iptables config allowing 10.10.10.0/24 on the replication network
The following user(s) said Thank You: engine411