Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

XCP-ng 8.0 (beta) 4 years 9 months ago #1819

• Fabio Brizzolla
  • Fabio Brizzolla's Avatar Topic Author
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if someone is already testing HA-Lizard with the new XCP-ng, that is in open beta. I just haven't got a chance to test it yet, so if someone did it, I'll appreciate any feedback.

Best regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

XCP-ng 8.0 (beta) 4 years 9 months ago #1823

• Salvatore Costantino
We have not tested yet against version 8. If anyone has a pair of hosts available we could get involved in testing. Otherwise, it will be a couple of weeks before we can get to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fabio Brizzolla

XCP-ng 8.0 (beta) 4 years 7 months ago #1869

• Fabio Brizzolla
  • Fabio Brizzolla's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks Salvatore. I did some tests using nested XCP-ng VMs on my virtual labs and the the NoSAN installation process worked fine. No problems at all... like with XCP-ng 7.6.

Best regards!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salvatore Costantino

XCP-ng 8.0 (beta) 4 years 3 months ago #1954

I've tested a XCP-ng upgrade option starting with a XenServer 7.2 and everything went just fine. Now have another scenarion that I want to upgrade, but this includes a HA-Lizard setup, and I don't have a two-server test setup to try it before deploying. In a general way, would this be expected to work?

I was considering disconecting them, upgrade the slave, see what happens and check if tehy can sync back after the upgrade.

XCP-ng 8.0 (beta) 4 years 3 months ago #1955

• Salvatore Costantino
We have come up with a way to make dom0 upgrades easy with HA-Lizard.

As you may know, when performing a major version upgrade of dom0, any non xenserver/xcp packages and configuration would normally be erased in the upgrade process. We have addressed this with a new feature which stores all required configuration data for an HA-Lizard 2-node pool in the XAPI DB. This allows the configuration to survive the dom0 upgrade since the entire XAPI DB will be preserved.

The process is rather straight forward:

- disable HA
ha-cfg ha-disable
- migrate all VMs to the slave host
- enter iscsi-ha manual mode on both hosts
iscsi-cfg manual-mode-enable
- put the master into secondary mode (run this command on master only)
iscsi-cfg become-secondary
- put the slave into primary mode
iscsi-cfg become-primary
- backup the storage configuration (this can be done on either host)
iscsi-cfg backup

at this point, all of your VMs will be pointing to the storage on the slave, making it safe to reboot/upgrade the master
Once the master has been upgraded, run the reinstsall_nosan_after_dom0_upgrade script on the master. It will re-install all the required packages and restore your configuration. Link to the script is: halizard.org/release/misc/reinstsall_nosan_after_dom0_upgrade

- on the master
cd /tmp
wget http://halizard.org/release/misc/reinstsall_nosan_after_dom0_upgrade
chmod +x reinstsall_nosan_after_dom0_upgrade
./reinstsall_nosan_after_dom0_upgrade

- Follow the prompts when the script runs making sure to select the options to reinstall ha-lizard, iscsi-ha and restore the configuration. Also select to reboot the host.

After the master has rebooted
- migrate all VMs to the master host
- put the slave into secondary mode (run this command on slave only)
iscsi-cfg become-secondary
- put the master into primary mode
iscsi-cfg become-primary

At this point, all of your VMs will be pointing to storage on the master. It is safe to reboot/upgrade the slave. Once dom0 has been upgraded on the slave:

- on the slave
cd /tmp
wget http://halizard.org/release/misc/reinstsall_nosan_after_dom0_upgrade
chmod +x reinstsall_nosan_after_dom0_upgrade
./reinstsall_nosan_after_dom0_upgrade

- Follow the prompts when the script runs making sure to select the options to reinstall ha-lizard, iscsi-ha and restore the configuration. Also select to reboot the host.

Once the slave is done rebooting - exit manual mode on both hosts:
iscsi-cfg manual-mode-disable

At this point, the upgrade is complete. You can verify that your storage is working as it should be by checking status from either host:
iscsi-cfg status

XCP-ng 8.0 (beta) 4 years 2 months ago #1966

Salvatore if your still needing some hosts to poke around on, I am thinking of redoing my cluster with xcp-ng 8.0, I am fairly confident the install would go flawless for ha-lizard. It would be a weekend coming up, just let me know what you think.

• Page: