Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Auto switch pool master - how to configure? 7 years 9 months ago #830

• -
  • -'s Avatar Topic Author
Good morning,
I have question:
How to properly configured 2-node pool with auto switch pool master?
I followed up your tutorial on youtube, install ha-lizard both on primary and secondary server but unfortunatelly when primary (pool master) server shutdown, secondary server doesn't become a pool master and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
HA is configured with defaults settings which I assume should be enough to auto switch pool master works fine.
Additionally: HA POOL enabled must be on both of the servers or just only on primary server?(In youtube tutorial is only mention primary server).
Thank you for your help.
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auto switch pool master - how to configure? 7 years 9 months ago #832

• Salvatore Costantino
the log file from the slave will show exactly what is going on. Try posting a portion of /var/log/messages from the slave during the test window.

Regarding your second question, HA is enabled once on either server. All pool members inherit the setting within a few seconds. You can enable HA by typing "ha-cfg status" from the shell. This is true for all settings. You can run the ha-cfg CLI from any host in your pool to change settings and the settings become active on all hosts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: -

Auto switch pool master - how to configure? 7 years 9 months ago #833

• -
Good morning,
thank you for the reply.
During tests I made today I observed something like this:
1. I shutdown Primary server (pool master);
2. Secondary server became pool master when Primary server went up.
Question 1: is this a right behaviour? I thought that secondary server became pool master even primary server is down.
3.When primary server went up there additonial problem appeared - iSCSI VSAN cannot plug in primary server.
Question 2: how to resolve this problem?
Question 3: How to configure ha-lizard in that way where primary server which was originally pool master become pool master when he get up? Now when secondary server become pool master primary master is slave.
Thank you for help.

Auto switch pool master - how to configure? 7 years 9 months ago #837

• Salvatore Costantino
It's hard to tell what is going on without additional details.

Are your performing a graceful shutdown in your test or are you simulating a failing (pulling power from the master).

Regardless, the messages log from the slave would show exactly what is going on.

Auto switch pool master - how to configure? 7 years 9 months ago #891

• -
Good morning,
first of all I want to thank once again for help and apologize for long delay. I made fresh installation of XEN Server 6.5 and HA Lizard and everything seems ok, but I've got a different problem related to XEN (yes, I know that is a HA Lizard forum but maybe someone knows reason of my actually problem) - as I know XEN Server can create a SR on the same disk/array it is running from but in my case that doesn't work. I have four disk in RAID 5 made in bios. During installation i pointed XEN that place for XEN installation and storage for VMs is that same logical volume. During installation XEN didn't complain about this seetings. After installation I figured out that XEN Server didn't create SR. If I try to create SR manually I get this error: "Root system device, cannot be used for VM storage [opterr=Device /dev/disk/by-id/cciss-cciss-3600508b100105239535834303833000b contains core system files, please use another device]". After installation XEN Server on RAID 5 logical volume I checked logs in /etc/firstboot.d/log/10-prepare_storage.log and I saw
"
+ /opt/xensource/bin/diskprep -f /dev/disk/by-id/cciss-3600508b100105239535834303833000b-part3
/dev/disk/by-id/cciss-3600508b100105239535834303833000b-part3 is not a block device - aborting.
"
I think that there is problem but I have no idea how to fix it.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Mike

Last edit: by -.

Auto switch pool master - how to configure? 7 years 9 months ago #892

I would recommend you install XenServer to a USB or SD card and leave the array for the HALizard iSCSI Storage Repository.

This way you Boot partition, and VM Storage partition are separated.

• Page: