Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC:

Xenserver 7 support? 7 years 9 months ago #932

my workaround for creating iscsi repository is like the following.

I create DRBD and iscsi like suggested, with small changes. than I try to attach it to the xenserver host. it gives me error during the format process from xencenter. than I viewed the SMlog file to see which operations were done and I figure out if I create the LVM by hand, xenserver assumes that this is an LVM created by xenserver and attaches it to the hosts.

the procedure is pretty simple.
First connect to the iscsi from the commandline
iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p [ip]
iscsiadm -m node --loginall=all
iscsiadm -m session

if the iscsi disk is seen as /dev/sdc do the following if you try to attach yourself the iscsi from xencenter you can find the simmilar lines on SMlog too. change your lines correspondingly.

sginfo -s /dev/sdc
iscsiadm -m session

sginfo -s /dev/sdc
/usr/lib/udev/scsi_id -g --device /dev/sdc
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360000000000000000000000000089982 bs=1M count=10 oflag=direct
/sbin/pvcreate -ff -y --metadatasize 10M /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360000000000000000000000000089982
/sbin/vgcreate VG_XenStorage-b8c2ad65-b698-7fd4-a259-43e76820be79 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360000000000000000000000000089982
/sbin/vgcreate VG_XenStorage-b8c2ad65-b698-7fd4-a259-43e76820be79 /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360000000000000000000000000089982

than from the xencenter try to connect to the same iscsi interface. you will notice that the xencenter will provide you one more option to re-attach the repository. just re-attach the repo and it will work..

The downside of that configuration is you can not move the disks between disk repositories. and snapshot is not fully functional. I think the main reason is that xenserver doesn't see the lvm filter options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Xenserver 7 support? 7 years 9 months ago #933

• Salvatore Costantino
thanks for the post. we are seeing the same issue with filter being ignored.

Xenserver 7 support? 7 years 9 months ago #934

• Salvatore Costantino
XenServer uses a wrapper script to make calls to LVM commands - /opt/xensource/sm/lvutil.py.

/opt/xensource/sm/lvutil.py sources lvm.conf from /etc/lvm/master

If you put your filter in /etc/lvm/master it will work. We will develop a clean way of dealing with this for our next release.

Also, we have a new XenServer7 installer and SW versions working now. WE may have an early release for you and others to try later this week.

Xenserver 7 support? 7 years 9 months ago #935

Good, great work.

The new release when avaiable for prodution, will be possible do an upgrade from previous version (6.5)

Xenserver 7 support? 7 years 9 months ago #936

@SC thanks a lot, I will try the master file for the filter.

one more thing I notice is that, after the reboot the Xenserver is not trying to initiate iscsiadm commands for the connection to the iqn. I have to do it manually and reconnect the iscsi SR.

Xenserver 7 support? 7 years 9 months ago #937

• Salvatore Costantino
Upgrade from 6.5 should be possible. A procedure will need to be tested before anyone attempts an upgrade - especially on a production system.

For now, we are focusing a release for new XenServer 7 installations,